Welcome!

Follow me as I wade through culinary adventures, physical fundamentals and the whathaveyou's of life in general.
This is the journal of a self-proclaimed fitness foodie.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

PC Day 6: Playing Ketchup

For lunch we had Paleo burgers (nice& easy). Instead of boring you with the details of this Googable meal, the true shining light of this foodventure is the Paleo Ketchup that the Caveman made for our burgers. To be honest, I'm not a huge ketchup fan at all, but the Caveman was literally dying without his favorite condiment. Thus, he set out to find a Paleo Ketchup recipe.. turns out I enjoy Paleo ketchup a heck of a lot more than regular ketchup. Who'd a thunk it?

Here's the Recipe:
‎1 small can (12 oz) of plain, sugar-free tomato sauce
1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
2 tsp vinegar (he used apple cider)
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
a pinch of ground cloves
1/4 tsp allspice

Later I bought a condiment bottle for it, to prevent it from looking like elementary school mystery meat sauce. *shudders*

I was in a rush to go to work that day so it was definitely Iron Chef time in my kitchen. While I was preparing the burgers I also prepped my ingredients for Crockpot Beef Stew. Borrowed this little gem from definedwellness. (Recipe and directions are in the link) I left out the tarragon and rutabaga because I didn't have any on hand. I also tweaked the recipe to fit my size crock pot.

Nothing's better than coming home after a long day to your house smelling like deliciousness. The beef stew turned out pretty darn good but I would suggest a few things for next time:
- Sear the meat in batches before placing it in your crock pot. (It helps seal in the juices and adds to flavor)
- I would probably add a tsp of salt to season the veggies and meat.
- Also, pepper.

The soup itself was very savory and the meat was perfectly tender. Gotta love slow cookers!

No comments:

Post a Comment