Welcome!

Follow me as I wade through culinary adventures, physical fundamentals and the whathaveyou's of life in general.
This is the journal of a self-proclaimed fitness foodie.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

PC Day 4: Can't Win'em All

The thing with paleo food is you have to be willing to experiment, otherwise you'll grow bored of merely seasoning the heck out of meat and veggies.

For dinner on Day 4 I decided to reinvent the chicken thigh (and yes, I have a whole freezer bag full of these so I'll be using them quite often). I attempted to make Almond-Crusted Chicken Stuffed with Kale and Ham, a hybrid of two non-paleo recipes I found through foodgawker

Recipe:
4 chicken thighs (pounded out)
Stuffing
1/2 a bunch of kale
4 cloves of garlic
3 pieces of ham
1/4 of an onion
1 tsp toasted pine nuts
salt & pepper
Crust
1 cup of almonds
1/2 tsp thyme
salt & pepper
1 egg

Method:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Chop the ham into small pieces and sautee in pan with olive oil. Add in your chopped up kale and the onions and sautee until slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper and toss in pine nuts near the end. To prepare crust, grind almonds along with the seasonings in blender until fine. Spoon small amount of kale-ham mixture into each chicken thigh. Roll chicken thigh tightly and secure with toothpicks if needed. Dip in egg wash before dipping into the almond mixture. Coat well and place on lined, flat, baking pan. Cook in oven for 25-30 minutes or until done.


I served it with a side of sauteed zucchini and a steamed artichoke drizzled with olive oil and garlic powder (steamed in the microwave!) I'd have to admit the chicken didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. I think next time i'll leave out the pine nuts and use paleo-friendly bacon instead of ham. Oh well! You can't win'em all!

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment