Welcome!

Follow me as I wade through culinary adventures, physical fundamentals and the whathaveyou's of life in general.
This is the journal of a self-proclaimed fitness foodie.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

PC Day 19: Daddy Cakes

My dad was always the main cook of the house, making my old favorites like spaghetti with meat sauce or concocting new dishes from whatever we had just lying around our refrigerator or freezer. I guess you could say I gained my food-experimenting tendencies from him.. and to that, my taste buds say thank you (at least most of the time). In honor of Father's Day today I thought I'd recreate a childhood favorite and a my-father original: a combination, almost omelet, almost frittata, pancake-sized, meaty creation I hereby dub Daddy 'Cakes'.

Recipe: (Makes 4-5 large 'cakes')
1 lb ground beef
8 eggs
1tsp salt
1/4 of a large onion, chopped
green onions, chopped (for garnish, optional)

Method:
Heat a large pan and 1 Tbsp olive oil (or any paleo-friendly cooking fat). When oil becomes hot, toss in your onions and stir till almost translucent. Add the meat into your pan with your onions and sprinkle with salt (pepper would be good here too but I ran out.. *tear). Cook all the meat until done, remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan heat up a tsp of oil or cooking fat. In a bowl, beat exactly 2 eggs and add in 1/4 (or 1/5 depending on how big your pan is) of the meat & onion mixture. Mix thoroughly into the beaten egg and place mixture in pan. Shake the pan horizontally, so that it spreads out flat and even. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on one side (until ready to flip). Flip, and cook for another minute or so. Repeat same steps for remaining mixture/ eggs.


It literally takes only 4 ingredients to make, but they're addicting, paleo-friendly and can serve as a side dish, grab-n-go breakfast or mid-day snack. Enjoy and Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment